Sadie Girl

Sadie Girl
My Leukemia Warrior

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ya can't fix stupid

This post is long overdue. I haven't posted since we got out of the hospital. Sadie finally cleared her chemo on mon morning. Exactly a week later!!! It was a long stay. Her kidney function returned to it's baseline, but that doesn't mean that long term damage was not done. I pray this is not the case. Effects of these drugs can be immediate or years down the line. Everything's a waiting game. The day before we left, Sade woke up throwing up blood. I panicked and obviously asked to see a doctor. 2 1/2 hours later, more blood and still no doc. I was pissed. I went to the nurses station and said "doctor, now". The doc came, but with her counts falling, they would not do a scope, so it was assumed that it was a sore in her throat. I wanted to know for sure, but that was not an option. At this point, her lips were raw and swollen due to mouth sores from the chemo, so sores in the throat were likely. Aside from this, she was struggling with the fever, and her blood was so low that she was sleeping 14+ hours a day. She would not get out of bed. Her depression factor alone of being in there so long was tiring enough. I have seen Sadie bad before, but it caught me off guard this time, cause she went down hill so fast. She would not eat or drink, and couldn't because of the sores, so taking her off the iv fluids scared me even more. The morning she cleared, her white count was at a 0.35, so she had no immune system. She wound up receiving a blood transfusion, and after the transfusion, it was decided that she could go home under the assumption that she would do better in her own environment. She had to return if she didn't eat or drink, or have adequate urine output. We got home, and her appetite did return, but her mouth hurt so bad that she couldn't eat. She was getting so aggravated by this, and she is such a picky eater, so pudding, jello, mashed potatos, or anything else soft like that, she refuses to touch. When she finally did eat, she coughed up a hunk of skin with blood on it, comparable to the consistency of chicken fat. I called the doc, and she said that it was a part of a mouth/throat sore, that broke off. Obviously it was from the throat if she coughed it up, which explains the source of blood in the vomit earlier that week. After this episode, she went back to not eating cause that wound was opened again. Her mouth still hurts today, but consuming food is getting easier as the days pass.
I took Sadie for counts yesterday at the local lab we always go to, and unfortunately, our regular phlebotomist Kelly, was on vacation. Hope everyone is ready for this, cause I'm about to get all fired up. We sit down to have the finger poke, and I tell the lady that the last time we were here, Sadie had to have two, cause her hand was too cold and it wouldn't drain, so I requested a disposable hand warmer to heat the blood. She says oh, were not doing that today, were gonna access the vein. I said um, I'm sorry but no were not. It is written in her orders that a finger poke is done at all times and that she is not to have her vein accessed. This fucking bitch kept insisting that she was accessing her vein, even as my daughter is crying that no she's not. I told her that if she was not gonna do it the way protocol says to do it then she needs to get me someone that can. She huffed and puffed as she left the room, and when she returned, she slammed some shit on the counter and says, I have been doing this for 20 years, and u are doin more harm to her than good. I said look, her own children's hospital will not even take her blood that way, and for all you or I know, her platelets could be low, and u want to wrap a truncate around her arm and poke her vein which could cause severe bleeding and bruising under her skin. Not to mention, it's traumatizing and hurts like hell to a three year old. Shut the fuck up and do it, and by the way, u obviously don't know what your talking about u stupid cunt. To top it off, she used an adult sized finger needle, when common sense says to use the child size. I did not see this till after it happened. What was supposed to be a retractable needle, didn't retract out of sadies finger cause the needle was so big. Sadie was so upset. After it was all over, sade asked for a sticker, and the bitch says, we don't have any. Bulshit, Sadie donates her own stickers to that place so I know they have some. Sure enough, one of the other ladies brought some in. I left there and called quest headquarters and put in a request to speak with the head super and the branch supervisor. They called today, and I let them have it. As if Sadie doesn't already go through enough. That's not even half of it, but I will stop there cause I get so pissed talking about it. Ironically, sadies cousin dray had to have blood work that same day, so I rode with my sis there. He was in a different room getting his done about the same time. Wish to god my sis would have been in the room with me. Haha, I can only imagine!!! That woman would not have stood a chance. Shawnnas a mean bitch. Sorry sis, I love u so much, but u are. So after counts are drawn locally, they are faxed to sadies hospital, and I receive a call from a nurse with the status. We went at 10:30am, and at 3:30pm, still no call. From the time the blood is taken, the lab has three hours to report the counts. Three hours was passed, so I called Glennon, and the nurse says oh, I lost them. I said what do u mean u lost them. She said, sorry but I lost them, do u need them?? Well hell yeah I need them, when we left, she had no immune system and low platelets. As sadies nurse, she needed them too. How was anyone to know if she needed a transfusion without them?? The nurse never found them, but eventually called to have another copy faxed. I swear, you can't fix stupid!!!! Today was just a bad day to get counts.
On a happier note, Sadie seems to be doing better. Her whites came up a little, but her plates are low. She has minor bruising goin on, but she's not ready to transfuse. Her mouth still hurts, but she is eating and drinking now. We took her to see the smurf movie tonight, assuming it wouldnt be crowded, and luckily it wasn't. If it was we could not have stayed. That was her first outing in public like that since d day, and it's so scary taking her out, but she is so miserable sitting at home day after day after day. She really wanted to see it, and She had a really good time. Everytime someone would get too close (literally 5 yards away)she would put her hand up and yell NO!!!! So sad she has to be that cautious, but glad she knows how to be, even if their a mile away. You should have seen me disinfecting the theater chairs and laying a towel out on hers for her to sit on. People must think I'm crazy, but I dare them to say it to my face. I have so much rage and anger, that I feel sorry for the one that does.

1 comment:

  1. I am going with Sadie on Monday for a finger poke. The one time I don't go something happens. I hope that bitch is there. I want to bust her in the mouth. That will never happen agian after I get done with Quest.

    ReplyDelete